The Quinoa and Beetroot salad can be eaten warm or cold. Prepare it in advance and it makes a great lunchbox or picnic option.
I love the contrast of crunchy fresh vegetables and sweet roasted beetroot and red onion. Eat what’s in season and change the veg accordingly. It’s also great with roast pumpkin, tomatoes and fresh basil.
Method for Quinoa and Beetroot Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Slice the onions in half the roughly into 5 slices. Toss the beetroot and onion in the oil and fennel seeds and out in a roasting dish. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water to remove the bitter taste. Place in a saucepan with 200ml of cold water, bring to the boil then cook for 10-15 mins until all the liquid has been absorbed and the grain is tender.
- Finely dice the cucumber and celery and roughly chop the herbs.
- Mix the quinoa with the cooked lentils, cucumber, celery, dukkah, fresh herbs, lemon juice and half the roasted onions. Season to taste.
- To serve place quinoa salad in middle of plate, decorate with remaining roasted onions, top with feta cheese, roasted beetroot and fresh dill.