I didn’t plant any pumpkins to grow this year but 2 grew in pots where I had used my homemade compost, the seeds must have been in the compost from last year’s harvest!! I love it when nature gives me surprises. I’m not a fan of wasting pumpkins to turn into lanterns and as I only had 2 small home-grown ones I wanted to make something delicious and warming to eat. There are plenty of spices in this dish to create a mild curried flavour, you could always add chilli to heat it up though.
Ingredients – serves 4
Time approx 1hr
- 500g roasted pumpkin (deseeded, peeled & chopped)
- 1 cup (250g) red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 500g medium-size tomatoes (chopped into large chunks)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 handful fresh coriander for garnish
- 4 dstspn roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- 300g brown basmati rice- cooked
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach- wilted
- Deseed, peel and chop the pumpkin and roast in the oven at 200C for approx. 30 min until softened and beginning to brown.
- Put the pumpkin seeds in the oven at the same time and dry roast for 20-25 min until start to brown and crack.
- Rinse lentils and add to a medium-size pan with the water. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for approx. 10 minutes.
- Boil the brown basmati rice until tender approx. 22 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, approx 1 minute.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add spices and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Stir in roasted pumpkin, cooked lentils and lime juice. If the consistency is too thick, add a bit of water and heat through.
- Drain the rice and stir through the fresh spinach and allow to wilt for a few minutes.
Serve the pumpkin dhal with brown basmati rice & spinach and garnish with fresh coriander and 1dstspn pumpkin seeds per portion.