I’m inundated with apples harvested from my trees and have been busy in the kitchen trying new recipes. My Apple Bread is packed with apples and contains no gluten or added processed sugar. The sweetness comes from the Honey Apple Sauce and it a real taste of autumn. The Honey Apple Sauce makes enough for 2 Apple Breads plus some spare for adding to porridge!
Tip – Slice a piece, pop in a toast bag and toast to serve warm with a brew!
Ingredients – Approx 12 servings
Honey Apple Sauce
- 1.3 Kg Apples cored & cut into 1cm cubes (Approx 8 large ones)
- 75g Honey
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- ½ tsp Mixed Spice (for baking)
- 1 slice of Lemon Peel
Add all the ingredients and cook in a slow cooker for 6 hours on low (4hrs on high) stirring occasionally or stew and stir in a large pan until mushy.
- 1½ cups (250g) Buckwheat Flour
- 2½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1½ cup (380g) Honey Apple Sauce
- 2 medium Eggs
- ¼ cup (45g) Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1½ cups peeled and finely chopped Apple (about 2 medium apples)
- ½ cup (75g) chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a large bowl, combine sprouted buckwheat flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the honey apple sauce, eggs, honey, oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in apple and pecans.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes. Sprouted buckwheat flour needs resting to allow the moisture to absorb properly.
- Prepare a loaf tin with baking paper or lightly grease.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a cocktail comes out with just a few crumbs. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.