Its time for something a little festive, these blinis topped with salmon and crème fraiche are light and delicious and can be served as a canapé pre lunch or dinner, you could even have them for breakfast on Christmas day. The blinis are gluten free and could be made dairy free by using a plant based alternative crème fraiche.
The blini bases can be made in advance and frozen, simply allow them them to defrost before adding the toppings. The addition of a little sprig of dill makes all the difference, enjoy!
Makes around 20-25
Serving 1-2 as a canape or 3 for a light breakfast or snack
Time approx 1 1/2hr
- 175g Buckwheat flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk (almond or dairy)
- Oil for frying
- 200g smoked salmon
- 300ml crème fraiche (half fat)
- Fresh dill to garnish
- Sieve the buckwheat flour into a large bowl, add the baking powder, salt & pepper and mix well. Make a well in the middle for the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs until aerated and stir in the milk.
- Gradually add the egg & milk mixture to the flour, whisking at the same time.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a low heat. Add the batter 1 tbsp at a time to form a small circle. Fry for 3 minutes each side until golden. Set aside on kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- Place the blinis on a plate and top with 1 tsp of crème fraiche, a small piece of smoked salmon and garnish with a piece of the fresh dill.