I love a sausage and this easy sausage tray bake is simple to cook and provides a hearty dinner. The star ingredient is the sausage – but not all sausages are created equal. Sausages can be highly processed and packed with fillers and preservatives which you really want to avoid.
When buying meat, I do try and go to my local butcher where the pork they sell is local; it is from free range pigs that are outdoor reared and fed on a natural cereal based diet which ensures it has a superior flavour, both succulent and tasty. All the sausages are made by hand at the butchers and they only add in extra seasoning or herbs for flavour, so I know exactly what I am getting. Although it may not always be convenient to buy from a butcher or farm shop, when buying in a supermarket look for free range and organic options and read the labels to check what has been added – look for the percentage of pork meat and buy the best quality you can.
This is a hearty meal and although the feeling of spring is in the air, the nights are still cold and dark and roasted vegetables and sausages make a satisfyingly warming meal! The great thing about a tray bake is that you can use whatever vegetables you have available and you can always get creative and mix it up!
Ingredients – serves 2
- 4 sausages
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped to bitesize pieces
- 1 medium parsnip – peeled and chopped to bitesize pieces
- 1 medium carrot – peeled and chopped to bitesize pieces
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 leek chopped
- Serve with mustard
Method for Sausage tray bake
- Heat the oven to 200°C
- Place the sausages and chopped sweet potatoes, parsnip and carrot on a baking tray and drizzle with rapeseed oil
- Cook the tray bake for about 20 minutes
- Add the chopped leeks to the tray bake
- Cook for another 20 minutes – or until sausages are browned
- Serve the sausages and vegetables with mustard to taste