During lockdown last year everyone was talking about banana bread – but in my garden I had a lot of courgettes growing and started experimenting with what I could make with them and this inspired my recipe for chocolate courgette cake!
With Valentine’s Day coming up this weekend you may be thinking about enjoying a sweet treat and this cake is perfect! This Chocolate Courgette cake is quick and simple to make and is dairy (if using dairy free chocolate chips) and gluten free. I love to try adding in vegetables to desserts and the courgettes, chocolate and sugar give you the right balance of sweetness and moisture for this cake and it doesn’t taste of courgettes!
It is nice to enjoy cake and sweet treats – but just remember portion sizes and enjoy in moderation! while knowing you are getting in some veg with a slice of cake!
2 medium courgettes (grated – can leave skin on)
3 tablespoons of coconut oil – melted and cooled
¾ cup coconut sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup gluten free – self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup of chocolate chips (dairy free if wanted)
1. pre-heat the oven to 180°C
2. line a loaf tin with a liner or greaseproof paper
3. In a large bowl combine – eggs, coconut oil, coconut sugar and cocoa powder – whisking until smooth
4. fold in grated courgettes
5. stir in flour and baking powder
6. set aside 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips for the top and add the rest to the mixture
7. stir well
8. pour mixture into loaf tin and sprinkle with chocolate chips
9. bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes – you may need to cover to stop the top burning
10. cook until a knife comes out clean (apart from melted chocolate chips)
11. allow to cool before slicing