A good quality stock will make the difference in flavour in this broth style soup but isn’t necessary. If your looking for a quick meal, this soup can be made in 20-30 mins and can use your store cupboard stock. If your using homemade chicken stock you could also replace some of the white beans for cooked chicken.
I love fresh herbs so you will notice they are in quite a few of my dishes! You can adjust the herbs in this dish depending on what you can get your hands on, basil, tarragon and parsley will also work well. If you don’t have fresh use dried but incorporate them into the soup whilst its cooking.
Method for Leek and White Bean Soup:
- Use a peeler to peel 3 strips of lemon rind.
- Heat pan over a medium heat, add oil. When hot fry onion, bay leaf, lemon rind, thyme and salt for 5-8 mins.
- Add celery and garlic and fry for a few minutes until fragrant before adding the leeks. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally to make sure its not sticking.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, turn down to simmer, add the beans. Let simmer for 5-10 mins. Top with hot water if the soup looks too thick
- Chop cavolo nero and add a 5 minutes before serving. Toast the raw buckwheat in a dry pan for a few minutes until it has some colour.
- To serve top each bowl with fresh mint, a drizzle of rapeseed oil and the toasted buckwheat.