In our fish pie we use a mixture of smoked haddock, wild salmon and cod. The sustainability of these fish can vary depending on where it was fish or farmed so ask your fish monger for more information or read the supermarkets label. For the topping you can replace the oats with rye bread crumbs or quinoa flakes. The seeds can be a mix of what you have in the cupboard. This fish pie recipe is designed to be quick and easy and use ingredients you already have in the cupboard – be creative!
Method for Fish Pie:
- Heat oven to 190C.
- Cut the fish into bite size pieces and toss in the cornflour to coat evenly.
- Place fish, sweetcorn and peas in the oven proof dish.
- Beat together the milk, yogurt, tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Pour into dish on top of the fish.
- Mix together the oats, seeds and grated cheese then spoon over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh seasonal greens.
You can make this fish pie in small ramekins and then freeze more portions. Just remember if you are using frozen defrosted fish you will need to cook through before freezing. To defrost take out and leave in the fridge overnight or add an extra 15-20 mins to cooking time. Make sure it is pipping hot before serving.