Do you sometimes fancy something a bit sweet or chocolatey in the morning, or do you have kids who would. If so, here is a recipe for healthier chocolate pancakes, with banana for sweetness, oats and eggs, flavoured with cocoa powder that won’t create a big spike in your blood sugar and will keep you full all morning. Serving these with berries adds extra sweetness and flavour.
Do let me know if you try making this and leave any comments below!
Chocolate Pancakes – makes 4
1 ripe banana
¼ cup of rolled oats
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of frozen mixed berries
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon of water
Method Chocolate Pancakes:
- In a blender combine banana, egg, oats, baking powder, cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth, allow to stand for 10-20 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Alternatively, you can blend the batter the night before and keep in an airtight container in the fridge
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat
- Spoon in the batter to form pancakes and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- To make the macerated berries, heat the mixed berries in a saucepan over a medium heat with the honey and water until the berries are soft.
- Serve the pancakes with a spoonful of berries