This is a lovely indulgent breakfast made from layering coconut yogurt, cherry coulis and chocolate granola to make a Black Forest breakfast layered crunch. The mix of coconut, cherry and chocolate is a sweet treat for the taste buds and is an indulgent breakfast to be enjoyed… just remember portion size!
It is easy to make, and you can layer up some portions in airtight containers in advance and keep in the fridge for a couple of days, so you have a breakfast option ready to go in the morning. You can also interchange the cherry coulis for other fruits and if you prefer natural yogurt for the coconut yogurt…. But I have to say I love the black forest taste of cherry and coconut.
Do let me know if you try making this and leave any comments below!
Cherry Coulis – makes 4 servings
2 cups of frozen cherries
¼ cup of water
3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
Juice and zest of one lemon
Chocolate Granola – makes 12 servings
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup of chopped pecans
½ cup coconut flakes
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup maple syrup
Method for cherry coulis:
- Place the frozen cherries, water, sugar and lemon zest and juice in a saucepan and gently heat until the cherries are soft. Stir into a soft sauce and leave to cool
Method for Chocolate Granola
- Preheat oven to 150°C
- line a baking sheet or tray with greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl mix together oats, pecans, coconut flakes and salt
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add in coconut sugar, cocoa powder and maple syrup – cook for 3-4 minutes until sugar is dissolved
- Turn off the heat, pour the mixture into the oats and stir until combined
- Pour over the greaseproof paper and press into a flat sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes – stirring halfway
- Allow to cool
- Can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
To make the Black Forest Layered Breakfast crunch
Layer up a small glass or pot with coconut yogurt, cherry coulis and chocolate granola. You can make more than one portion and keep in the fridge if in an airtight container.