Method for red lentil dhal:
- Put lentils in a medium size pan and cover with water about 2 inches above the surface. Bring to the boil, skim off any scum that comes to the top and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in salt, turmeric and half the butter. Cook until the red lentils have broken down, the yellow lentils will still be whole, about 20 minutes.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes, put aside.
- Finely dice the onion. Heat the rest of the butter in a small frying pan and cook the onions on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened and gone translucent add the garlic, garam masala, coriander and chilli flakes and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- When the lentils are cooked add the coconut milk, spring onions, spinach, spiced cooked onions and cumin seeds and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and dukkah.