Spring cleaning is often a term that applies to the big house clean we like to do around this time of year, but the technique can also be so easily applied to spring cleaning our own bodies.
Traditionally this is the time of year when my thoughts turn to spring cleaning. Its a time to get rid of the heavy feeling of winter, clear away the cobwebs and prepare for the hope of warmer weather… that will show its face (eventually!!)
I love a good spring clean, it feels so good to clean out from top to bottom, you feel in control, and really quite virtuous. In fact I just spent the weekend spring cleaning my office in preparation for the new year.
Over the winter months you may have started to hibernate, stocked up on heavy rich foods, indulged in a little more treats than usual. Winter may literally be weighing you down. Don’t wait until its summer time and you find yourself “suddenly” faced with an uphill struggle to regain your body, health and fitness.. Act Now and you will breeze thorough spring
The body already is detoxing all the time, it has to.
Your inbuilt cleaning system is dealing with toxins every day.
Toxins are everywhere, our bodies are bombarded by them, in the air you breath, the food and drink you consume the products you use around the home and even on your body.
Under natural circumstances, the body is able to eliminate many of these toxic substances, however if your system is out of balance then the bodies ability to do this can become compromised.
Signs You Need to Detox Now:
- Dry, botchy skin
- Outbreaks of spots
- Fungal infections
- IBS symptoms (eg bloating, constipation, flatulence)
- Lack of energy, but poor quality sleep at night
- General feeling of heaviness
- Super cravings for sugar or carbs
- Super strong cravings for sugar or carbs
How to Detox Safely
Detoxing is safe, effective way of supporting your bodes ability to heal itself.
But… and there is a big BUT… we are not advocating quick fix juice only detox plans, those which suggest you eat nothing at all, but drink juices. In our opinion this is not a way to support your system and can actually decrease your energy levels. Any detox plan you choose to follow should not be too low in calories, it should be nutrient rich and have a varied meal plan.
Detoxing is a way of giving your body a new start. A safe detox combined with a gentle exercise programme and tools to support a positive attitude towards life gives a fabulous boost to everyone.
At The Body Retreat our Sugar Detox Retreat is designed to provide the tools, resources and environment to make detoxing not only, simple and safe but also a real pleasure.
Our Detox Programme incorporates healthy nutritious but light meals. The purpose of the plan is to reduce the load on your digestive system while at the same time flood your system with enzymes, vitamins and minerals in an easily digestible form. While at the same time its an opportunity to rid yourself of the sugar habit you may have been struggling with, whether that be bread, soft drinks, wine, ketchup or even fruit.
When you are detoxing you do not want to redirect your bodies energy into high intensity exercise, that just makes you feel wrung out but increasing your activity levels will support the detox process as well as provide you with a mental lift. So it is a great time to explore low intensity exercise, Pilates, yoga, nordic walking, swimming are all great options.
The body detox is only half of the equation. This is also a fantastic opportunity to detox your mind, to lose the internal negative chatter or toxic emotions that may be keeping you stuck in situations that are not healthy for you.
On our Sugar Detox Retreat we use NLP along with relaxation techniques and guided visualisations to help overcome any mental obstacles that may have held you back in the past and help you to refocus on new positive goals.
When body and mind are detoxed you feel lighter, brighter, clearer ad re-energised ready to embrace life. At our Sugar Detox Retreat there is the added benefit of around 6lbs weight loss which gives a great confidence boost as you start to look forward to first signs of spring and the opportunity to shed your winter layers.
Want to try a detox plan at home?
Top Tips For Spring Clean Detox.
- It will come as no surprise that increasing your water intake is No1 on the list. Aim to drink at least 1.5 litres per day
- Start your day with the juice of half a lemon with hot water to give your liver a boost.
- Get into the habit of dry skin brushing daily, it will take a bit of time to begin with but you will soon find a rhythm and you will be amazed at the difference in your skin tone.
- Cut out Caffeine, Dairy, Meat, Carbs from your diet. Your meal plans should be 80% veggie based, go organic and local where possible.
- Go Green… green veggies are packed with chlorophyll helps flush out environmental toxins.
- Garlic in almost everything, it activates liver enzymes that help filter out wastes. Counteract the garlic by eating lost of parsley, which also happens to be a great detoxifier 😉
- Keep the good fats in, Avocado, rapeseed oil, seeds and nuts all in small quantities
- Get into the fresh air for at least 15 mins every day and breath fully and deeply
- Spend at least 5 mins every day in quite contemplation or practice mindfulness
- Get your hands on The Detox Plan by Jane Alexander, this great book will take you through a weekend or month long safe detox programme