Now Avocado-on-Toast has become popular in recent years and is seen as a healthy option, but I wanted to try and add more flavour and protein, so for a twist on avocado on toast I have come up with pesto avocado on toast. For the mixture I still used one avocado but mixed it up by adding ingredients you would find in a homemade pesto by including spinach leaves, along with pine nuts and brazil nuts which add protein and nutty texture. To give a more pesto flavour I added garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, basil leaves and salt to taste.
I tried using a blender and a nutribullet – but I found this lost texture and became too smooth and needed more liquid to blend making it too runny. So I found actually using a food processor gave me the best result, super quick and easy to make just by placing all the ingredients in the food processor and blending, leaving a nice coarse texture, full of flavour.
This makes a perfect lunchtime meal, serve the pesto avocado on toasted sourdough or bread of choice; it is vegan, dairy free and depending on the toast can be gluten free as well. Do try this take on avocado-on-toast and enjoy the nutty pesto twist!
Ingredients – serves one
- 2 slices of sourdough bread toasted
- 1 avocado
- Handful of spinach
- About 10 small brazil nuts
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Basil leaves
Method Pesto Avocado on Toast
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Blend the avocado, spinach, brazil and pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and basil leaves until smooth
- Toast the sourdough bread or bread of choice
- Serve the Pesto Avocado on the toast