This hot summer weather calls for something cool you down and Granita does just that. Granita is a semi-frozen crunchy dessert originally from Sicily. It’s zingy, refreshing sharp & perfect for an after dinner treat. You may have tried this at one of the Healthy Holidays; it is sometimes served as a welcome treat.
The twist is to include a little protein to slow the absorption sugars and prevent a spike in blood sugar by adding milled flaxseed.
Ingredients – serves 12 x 25ml shots
- 2 large juicy lemons
- 2 juicy limes
- 100g white sugar
- 150 ml water
- 1 tbsp. milled flaxseed
- Sprigs of mint to serve
Method for making granita
- Add the sugar to 150ml water into a pan and stir over a gentle heat, until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and limes (approx. 50ml) and stir into the sugar syrup. Add the milled flaxseed.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer proof container and freeze until the mixture begins to freeze around the edges – about 30 min.
- Scrape all the ice from the sides and break up into smaller crystals with a fork. Return to the freezer. Repeat every 30 minutes, until you have a frozen but grainy mixture- approx. 2-3hours.
- Keep in the freezer until you are ready to serve. Serve in a small shot glass with a sprig of mint.
Tip – if you muggle the sprig of mint you will get an extra burst of flavour!