I love baked potatoes and feel it is often a comfort food – I like taking traditional foods and mixing it up. Sweet potatoes are a good switch from white potatoes, they release the sugars more slowly so are a good option. I always like to think – where is the protein in a meal and I often try to add in some plant-based protein – in this recipe the protein is the roasted chickpeas, tahini and toasted pine nuts. Using harissa paste and tahini add a Moroccan flavour that goes really well with the sweet potato.
As spring is in the air and the days are getting warmer, I like to serve my baked potato with a green salad which combines cold and warm. I have kept it simple with a bed of rocket, some fresh cucumber and spring onions and, as asparagus is just coming into season, I’ve cooked the asparagus in a small piece of butter and salt, microwaved on a low heat for a minute or two and topped the salad with them.
It is a twist on a traditional baked potato with salad but is simple and delicious!
Ingredients – serves 2
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 400g can of chickpeas
- Sprinkle of paprika for roasting the chickpeas
- 1/2 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- Small handful of chopped parsley
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Season with salt
- Small handful toasted pine nuts
- 2 spring onions chopped
Green salad ingredients
- Handful of rocket
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ¼ sliced and chopped cucumber
- 8 asparagus tips
- Small knob of butter
- Salt to taste
Method for Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chickpea and Harissa
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 40-45 minutes
- Meanwhile roast the rinsed chickpeas sprinkled with paprika for about 30 minutes or until golden
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked – slice open and scoop out some of the filling and mix with harissa paste, tahini, olive oil, salt and parsley
- Then mix in the roasted chickpeas
- Next scoop the mixture back into the roasted sweet potatoes and top with toasted pine nuts, chopped spring onions and extra parsley
- Serve with a side salad of bed of rocket, cucumber and spring onions
- Microwave the asparagus with a small knob of butter and salt – once cooked top the salad.
- And enjoy!