Despite all evidence to the contrary with the wild weather we have had in the UK recently we are actually headed towards spring.
Traditionally this is the time of year when our thoughts turn to spring cleaning. Its a time to get rid of the heavy feeling of winter, clear away the cobwebs and prepare for the sun… that will show its face (eventually!!) I love a good spring clean, it feels so good to clean out from top to bottom, you feel in control, and really quite virtuous.
Of course spring cleaning is often a term that applies to the big house clean we like to do around this time of year, but the technique can also be so easily applied to spring cleaning our own bodies. Over the winter you may have hibernated, stocked up on heavy rich foods, indulged in a little more treats than usual. Winter may literally be weighing you down.
Spring is a great time to detox.
The body already is detoxing all the time, it has to. Your inbuilt cleaning system is dealing with toxins every day. Toxins are everywhere, our bodies are bombarded by them, in the air you breath, the food and drink you consume the products you use around the home and even on your body. Under natural circumstances, the body is able to eliminate many of these toxic substances, however if your system is out of balance then the bodies ability to do this can become compromised.
Signs you need to detox:
- Dry, botchy skin
- Outbreaks of spots
- Fungal infections
- IBS symptoms (bloating, constipation, flatulence)
- Lack of energy
- General feeling of heaviness
Detoxing is safe, effective way of supporting your bodes ability to heal itself. But… and there is a big BUT… we are not advocating quick fix detox plans, like those which suggest you eat nothing at all, but drink a juice made-up of lemon, water, sugar and pepper… this is not a way to support your system. Any detox plan you choose to follow should not be too low in calories, it should be nutrient rich and have a varied meal plan.
Detoxing is a way of giving your body a new start. A safe detox combined with a gentle exercise programme and tools to support a positive attitude towards life gives a fabulous boost to everyone.
At The Body Retreat our Spring Clean Detox Retreat is designed to provide the tools, resources and environment to make detoxing not only, simple and safe but also a real pleasure. Our Detox Programme follows a juicing plan, based on vegetable juicing, supported by nutritious broths and towards the end of the week a menu that incorporates healthy nutritious meals. The purpose of the plan is to reduce the load on your digestive system while at the same time flood your system with enzymes, vitamins and minerals in their most absorbable form.
When you are detoxing you do not want to redirect your bodies energy into high intensity exercise, but increasing your activity levels will support the process as well as provide you with a mental lift. So it is a great time to explore low intensity exercise, Pilates, yoga, nordic walking, swimming are all great options.
The body detox is only half of the equation. This is also a fantastic opportunity to detox your mind, to lose the internal negative chatter or toxic emotions that may be keeping you stuck in situations that are not healthy for you. On our Spring Clean Detox Retreat we use NLP along with relaxation techniques and guided visualisations to help overcome any mental obstacles that may have held you back in the past and help you to refocus on new positive goals.
When body and mind are detoxed you feel lighter, brighter, clearer ad re-energised ready to embrace life. At our Spring Clean Detox Retreat there is the added benefit of around 6lbs weight loss in the 4 days, which gives a great confidence boost as you start to shed your winter layers.
Want to try a detox plan at home?
Follow our top tips to getting started.
- It will come as no surprise that increasing your water intake is No1 on the list. Aim to drink at least 1.5 litres per day
- Start your day with the juice of half a lemon with hot water to give your liver a boost.
- Get into the habit of dry skin brushing daily, it will take a bit of time to begin with but you will soon find a rhythm and you will be amazed at the difference in your skin tone.
- Cut out Caffeine, Dairy, Meat, Carbs from your diet. Your meal plans should be 80% veggie based, go organic and local where possible.
- Go Green… green veggies are packed with chlorophyll helps flush out environmental toxins.
- Garlic in almost everything, it activates liver enzymes that help filter out wastes. Counteract the garlic by eating lost of parsley, which also happens to be a great detoxifier 😉
- Keep the good fats in, Avocado, rapeseed oil, seeds and nuts all in small quantities
- Get into the fresh air for at least 15 mins every day and breath fully and deeply
- Spend at least 5 mins every day in quite contemplation.
- Get your hands on The Detox Plan by Jane Alexander, this great book will take you through a weekend or month long safe detox programme
If you are a first time detoxer or would enjoy a break to boost your well-being and balance your energy while at the same time lose a few unnecessary pounds this spring then our Spring Clean Detox Retreat starts on 17th March 2014